Polymerase Chain Reaction* (PCR) is a process where millions of copies of DNA are amplified from a single copy, or low copy number template. This reaction is fundamental to almost all applications requiring a high copy number of starting material and is used in all laboratories working with DNA and RNA.
Because of the high copy number generated during PCR, it is essential to prevent possible contamination of the PCR reaction. Precautions must be taken during the sample and reagent preparation steps to minimize this risk. In addition to good laboratory practice, the ideal PCR laboratory should consist of three areas, each isolated from the other. Reagents should be prepared in the reagent preparation area and transferred to the sample preparation area, through a pass box, or inside closed containers. After preparation of the final reaction mix, the tubes should be transferred to the amplification area, again through a pass box or in a closed container. The PCR amplification and results analysis takes place in this area.
To guarantee contaminant-free samples, it is essential to work in an environment where the air quality is controlled. This should form part of the equipment in the sample preparation area.
- HEPA-filtered laminar flow
- Airflow monitoring
- UV lamp & prefilter change alarm
- True vertical laminar airflow with a large filter covering the entire work zone within the cabinet for better protection against cross contamination, as compared to conventional dead-air boxes.
- High-quality polyester pre-filter and main HEPA filter with a typical efficiency of 99.99% at 0.3 microns provide the best product protection in the world; typical HEPA filter life span is more than 3 years depending on operating conditions and total number of hours in use.
- Esco Sentinel™ Microprocessor Control provides flexibility and full configurability according to the requirements of the user.
- Admin PIN can be set on the control to restrict unauthorized access to menu parameters.
- UV decontamination cycle is fully programmable using the Microprocessor keypad; a timer will turn off the UV lamp after the set period of time.
- Unique pre-filter change alarm and UV lamp replacement alarm make the cabinet the safest and the most user-friendly PCR cabinet on the market.